OK, we get it already! Being overweight has all these health risks… and two-thirds of people are overweight… and being overweight can complicate chronic conditions… and you have to lose weight NOW! Stop eating your favorite foods. Eat less. Workout, workout, workout…
This sounds overwhelming, doesn’t it? Of course, weight loss patients should be informed about the importance of weight loss to their health, as well as the lifestyle and diet changes that make weight loss possible. But does conversation about it always have to be so serious? Sometimes, a lighter approach is appropriate and helpful.
So why not talk to patients about how weight loss can be FUN?
Patients are already dealing with learning to say “no” to their favorite foods, and adopting activities that seem difficult and challenging, especially where exercise is concerned. Having a lighthearted tone and ensuring your patients that exercise can be fun — even relaxing or stress relieving — can help your patients approach weight loss with a positive mental attitude and a sense of excitement that can set them up for success.
Here are five suggestions for activities your patients can try this weekend that are both fun and burn a ton of calories:
1. Take a walking tour of your city. Get some fresh air and some great exercise by mapping out some interesting historic sites in your city and making it a half day walking activity with family or friends. Stopping to see sites provides for ample rest in between walking. Go at your own pace and make it an enjoyable outing, and don’t forget to bring water and healthy snacks!
2. Dance the night away. When was the last time you went to a club? Get dressed up, grab a friend, and treat yourself to a night out with some good music. If you do go to a club or bar, just watch the alcoholic beverages as they contain empty calories. Make it a sober, but fun night.
3. Become a dog walker. If you like animals, this is a great way to get some weekly exercise, snuggle dogs, and make a few extra bucks! There are actually dog walking apps such as Wag! where you can actually get paid to walk dogs. Or just do it as a favor for friends or neighbors. Walking is a great, low impact exercise, so why not make it fun by adding a cute dog to the picture?
4. Play a game. Did you know there are lots of video games that are designed to help you be active? If you want to get some exercise in the comfort of your own home, and you like video games, try a few rounds of “Dance, Dance Revolution” or “Wii Fit!”
5. Jump! Take a trip to a trampoline park or take an urban rebounding class. Trampoline exercise is another low impact activity that is easy on the joints but provides great cardio in a short period of time. You can even buy your own portable trampoline to use for exercising in your house. What better way to lose weight and feel like a kid again.
For even more ideas on fun ways to lose weight, download one of Robard’s Patient Education Exercise Modules. Our exercise modules are just one of the many complimentary resources that Robard offers our customers to make running a weight loss program easy. If you want to learn more about our complimentary services for weight management professionals, contact us today!
Blog written by Vanessa Ramalho/Robard Corporation